Thursday, May 3, 2012

Create a Bully Free World Day - May 3rd

I dedicate this post to my beautiful daughter Maurra who will be 16 this month and who has been the victim of bullying since kindergarten because of her disabilities.  When she was just 5 years old and in kindergarten, she was locked in the bathroom (which was located within the classroom) by 2 boys, they pulled down her pants to expose her pull-up because at the time she was not potty trained.  The school did nothing to protect my daughter then, and they still don't do anything now.  That happened while we were living in West Virginia.  It isn't any better where we live now.

Just 2 weeks ago, I pulled my daughter out of high school due to bullying again.  She was at the brink of having a breakdown and she was in the bathroom calling my husband to come pick her up.  (I was at a doctor appt)  I mentioned to the doctor (I was at her psychiatrists office with her brother) about what was happening with Maurra and he said to bring her in right away.  So I went to the school to pick her up.  When I got into the office, I saw Maurra sitting in a chair crying looking completely distraught.  I was told by the attendance worker that I needed to speak with the Assistant Principal first, so I go into his office and realize as I'm being bombarded by people that they are going to gang up on me for protecting my daughter.  There was the Asst. Principal, the district nurse, my daughters special education case manager and the gym teacher.  (not sure why he was there)  Then the next thing out of the Asst. Principals mouth was "Maurra is manipulating you, she's just wanting to go home, there's nothing wrong with her, but I can't legally stop you from taking her out of school either."  I had to bite my tongue because I was going to lose it with him.  I just kept focusing on keeping my cool.  I told him that I was going to take her to her emergency doctor appointment and that next year she would be doing the virtual academy.  He said that the district would not pay for it and I said "yes, you will, because my tax dollars go to whatever district is educating my daughter!"  He didn't like that I knew that.  He has been bullying my daughter for months and she just couldn't take it anymore.

When we got to the doctors office, I was told that she was decompressing and that if she were to remain in that school, she would surly end up being admitted to the psychiatric hospital for another breakdown.  (she had one last year in August)  He told me to pull her out of school immediately and home school her, so I did as I was told.  She has been through hell and back with every school she has been in, I refuse to allow this to continue.

So she is set up for the virtual academy for this fall and is excited about doing it.  She is also glad that she's not getting hit every day by a certain girl who used to hit her constantly, every time she would see her she would get smacked.  No one ever did anything about it.  No one EVER did anything about any of the torment my daughter has suffered, it's time that I do something about it, and I did!  I'm not going to allow my daughter to be a statistic.  I will protect her with every cell in my body. 

Unfortunately, this goes on way too often and children are taking their own lives to escape from it.  Something has to be done about this.  There should be harsher rules and harsher punishments for those who are the bullies.  The time for it to end is NOW.  I don't want another child to ever go through the garbage my daughter has gone through.  Enough is enough!

Until next time....

7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that Maurra has suffered so much at the hands of not only students, but uneducated administrators who are supposed to help her. I am so glad that you protect her and because of your love and guidence I am sure Maurra will succeed in whatever she is passionate about.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I am like a mother polar bear when it comes to my babies. I am ferocious when they are being hurt in any way. I think I was put on this earth strictly to be a mom because everything else never lasted long. But my children are the reason my world rotates. I would die 100 times over just to keep them from being hurt.
      Mimi

      Delete
  2. I think you did the right thing - kudos. So shameful this kind of thing is still going on - my brother in law, who has autism and is in his 50's, went through a great deal of bullying when he is in school - but I know this is still so common. I also have faith your daughter will be successful using the virtual academy. Good luck to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was not a hard decision to make, really. I was tired of her constant crying over school, the daily phone calls to come pick her up because of her anxiety, the fact that the school was doing nothing to help her, it just wore thin on me and this last breakdown was my breaking point. I am a momma polar bear when it comes to my babies, I'll do anything to protect them. She's being homeschooled for the rest of the year, which is a bit tough, but we'll get through. I'm excited about the virtual academy, it sounds like a perfect fit for her.
      Mimi

      Delete
  3. Wishing you both the best. Bullying is unacceptable, and it's amazing to me that schools can't figure out better ways to stop it. I moved a lot as a kid, and was always the butt of other kids' jokes. I wrote a book about it years later as a small attempt to process it.

    I hope Maurra finds her inner strength and beauty and soars above all of this. Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tia! Maurra is doing much better now that she's out of school. She's struggling with the loss of friends but I'm hoping she will make new friends in her virtual academy. I too struggled as a child with being made fun of and teased a lot... What it did was make me a much stronger woman than I would have turned out I think. I wrote a section about it in my book also that is currently being written.
      Mimi

      Delete
  4. In time, these struggles will show their worth when she is shining under the virtual school environment. Good for you for sticking to your guns, despite the bullying the administration was subjecting to both you and your daughter. Go mama bear!!! :)

    ReplyDelete